The 3 Kiddos

The 3 Kiddos
Fun At The Playground

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

History Lesson/Making It Work

            I thought before I continued on in my new adventures I should explain the title of my blog. The reason I didn't call myself a first time father is because I have been blessed to have Simon in my life. He is Jill's first son from her previous marriage and I am lucky he is in my life. Having him a part of our family has helped me prepare for the toddler years and learn more about Jill's parenting style before I committed to this relationship. Needless to say after meeting Simon and getting to know him I was impressed with how well Jill raised him. I have heard many compliments given to Jill about how well behaved Simon is and what a wonderful person he is. I have to echo these people's praises as I am able to see what a great little man Simon is and how he is developing and I am grateful Jill trusts me enough to join her in molding Simon to be a productive & positive member of our society.
          Another reason Simon is developing positively is due to his father, David. I have been in other relationships where the ex is either non-existent or bitter. I am so grateful that David is committed to being in his son's life no matter what and being able to accept me and my family into his to help accomplish this goal. I remember the first time we spent time together for more than a few minutes when we dropped Simon off or picked him up. It was 4th of July, 2009. I have to admit I was a little skeptical because of my previous experiences but seeing how he related with Simon, Jill & my parents I was elated we actually had a good thing going. I have heard it said "it takes a village to raise a child" and I am living proof of that adage. Having David in our lives has really helped to make Simon who he is.
        Having David be a part of Simon's life has also been a positive effect on Elliot's life. He has been understanding when Elliot was born and we wanted to have Simon around to bond with him but he and his extended family have given Elliot gifts. I also know that as Elliot is older and wants to go with Simon to David's that he will be willing to watch him too. I really feel that the more people we have in our lives that love our children and have a positive effect on them is better for the development of our boys and all of our lives.
      I am so glad that when Jill became a part of my life she brought Simon with her. He has not only helped me learn how to be a father but how to be a better person. I know I have to be a good husband and father because my family has already told me that if anything happened to cause Jill and I to split they would take her and Simon (and now Elliot) over me. However I know that will never happen because my love for all of them is so strong and continues to grow every day. Thanks again Simon for letting me learn with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment